We love muffins in this house. They are our go-to breakfast, unless it’s the weekend or I’ve prepped something else ahead, I am notoriously bad at making breakfast each day. So every once in awhile I will make a big batch of muffins, bag some up for the next couple days and freeze the rest. When we are ready to reheat the muffin I get a paper towel damp, then squeeze it out and wrap the muffin in it. Microwaved for 30 seconds the wet paper towel ensures the muffin is still moist after its journey through the freezer and microwave. It’s not necessarily the ideal breakfast method, but it does ensure that we have a quick breakfast a couple times a week…or a muffin for the toddler when nothing else will do.
These almond chia seed muffins are light and delicate in flavor, and the addition of chia seeds brings a lot of benefits. Chia seeds have omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, iron, and antioxidants. All a part of a great morning!
Almond Chia Seed Muffins
Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 375° 15-18 minutes
- 3/4c. Almond milk
- 1/4c. Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2tsp. Almond extract
- 1/2tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 3/4c. Flour
- 1/2c. Sugar
- 2tsp. Baking powder
- 2tsp. Chia Seed
- Preheat oven to 375° Grease 12 muffin pan or use cupcake liners.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, combine the almond milk, vegetable oil, egg, and both extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and chia seeds.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients in the mixer and mix until incorporated, but don’t over-mix!*
- Fill each muffin liner 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the top springs back when you touch it.
*Over mixing baked goods can cause them to be tough because it over develops the gluten in the flour.