Happy taco Tuesday!
For this round of tacos I turned to my favorite taco meat, pork. Some deliciously slowed cooked pork roast, paired with bright citrus flavors and pickled red onions are what we needed to brighten up dinner on another wintery day.
On this post I have a few different recipes. One for the pork, a quick pickle for the red onions, and one for the lime crema. Since it’s pretty recipe heavy I’ll just get right to it, and you’ll want to taste these tacos, not read about them anyway.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 2.5 hours
- 2lbs. Pork sirloin roast
- 8oz. Pineapple juice and chunks
- 1lg. Red onion
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1tsp. Oregano
- 1tsp. Cumin
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Combine the seasonings, large dice the onion, and juice the citrus fruits.
- In a large casserole dish add the pork roast, and add the onion and pineapple surrounding the roast.
- Pour the lime and orange juice over the roast.
- Sprinkle seasoning onto the pork and gently rub.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and roast for 2 hours.
- Pull the roast out after two hours and using forks start to shred the pork into large chunks, be sure to turn over and coat well in the pan juices.
- Roast, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- Pull the roast out of the oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Shred the pork and enjoy!
Prep: 5 minutes
Refrigerate: Minimum of 1 hour
- 1 red onion
- 1/2c. Apple cider vinegar
- 1c. Hot water
- 1tbsp. Sugar
- 1tsp. Kosher salt
- Peel the onion and slice as thin.
- Mix the hot water, vinegar, sugar, and salt together until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add the onions to the vinegar mixture and submerge.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
These can be kept in the pickling liquid in the fridge for two weeks.
Prep: 5 minutes
Refrigerate: Minimum of 30 minutes.
- 1c. Plain greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/8tsp. Garlic powder
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- Salt TT (you’ll probably want around 1/4tsp)
- Mix all ingredients
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, a few hours is better.
- Use to top tacos, rice bowls, literally anything you want lime on, it really brightens a dish!
Keeps for one week in the refrigerator, don’t mess with old dairy!!!