Savory breakfast pastries have been some of my favorite recipes to play with in the last few months. They hit all my requirements for a weekday breakfast; easy and already made, a little sweet, mostly savory, very filling.
The flavor combination of apples, cheddar, and ham are classic and perfect for my savory “cinnamon roll”.
Ham and Cheddar Breakfast Rolls
Mix: 10 minutes
1st Rise: 1 hour
Prepare: 10 minutes
2nd Rise: 30 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Total: 2 hours 15 minutes (not active working!)
- 1/2c. Unsalted butter, melted
- 2c. Milk, (any of your choice) warm
- 1/2c. Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4tsp. Active dry yeast
- 5c. Flour
- 1tsp. Baking powder
- 2tsp. Salt
- Additional flour for surfaces
- 1lb. Thick cut ham
- 8oz Sharp white cheddar
- 1 1/2c. Apple butter
- 1/4tsp. Salt
- 1/4c. Chives, chopped, for garnish
- In a small pot warm the milk and melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted and the milk is warm, remove from the heat and add the sugar and yeast. Be sure the milk isn’t too hot, it should be warm to the touch but not hot. No more than 110°. Set aside and allow the yeast to proof.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with a bread hook, add the 5c. flour, baking powder, and 2 tsp. salt, mix together briefly.
- After about 5 minutes the yeast should be frothy in the milk mixture, add the milk mixture to your dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula if needed to get all the sugar and yeast out of the pot.
- Using the stand mixer, start on a low speed until the ingredients begin to form a dough, up the speed to medium and mix for 5-10 minutes until a smooth elastic dough has formed.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray, add the dough and cover. Allow to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Thinly slice the cheddar cheese and set aside. Prepare a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- After your dough has doubled in size, cover a clean work surface in additional flour and pour out the dough. Gently fold and knead the dough, punching isn’t necessary!
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a large rectangle about an 1/4” thick, sprinkle with more flour if the dough starts to become sticky while rolling.
- Using a spoon, offset spatula, or rubber spatula, evenly coat the dough with the apple butter reaching all the way to the corners.
- Evenly distribute the cheese over the dough, and then the ham.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4tsp of salt evenly across the ham and cheese, if your ham is very salty, this may not be necessary.
- Starting from the bottom long side of your dough, start rolling the dough over on itself forming a long tight log. When you reach the top pinch off the seam and the sides of the roll.
- Using a sharp slicing knife, cut the log into 2″ slices and lay on your sheet tray into rows of 4.
- Once the log has been fully sliced and laid out on the sheet tray, cover with plastic wrap or a light towel and allow to rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- After rising again, remove the cover and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, when the rolls are done they should be golden brown on top and the sides.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy!