When it comes to breakfast I much prefer savory items. Sweets first thing in the morning just do not work for me, but my husband, prefers sweets…basically all day every day, but especially in the morning. So a lot of mornings I try to compromise with sweet and savory breakfast dishes. The sweet maple pork sausage and the sweet potatoes give him just enough sweet but the kale makes me feel like I delivered a decent breakfast to the family.
After slicing, dicing and measuring out all the ingredients (mise en place), brown the sausage with all the spices.
Set aside the pork and in the same pan you used for the pork, with a little extra olive oil, cook the onion and sweet potato until the onion is translucent.
The sweet potato should be about 1/2 way done now, toss in the apples and let it cook for a couple of minutes before adding in the kale.
Mix in the kale allowing to wilt for a minute, then add 1/3c. water and cover the pan with a lid for about 3 minutes.
Once the kale and sweet potatoes are done, remove the lid, salt your hash and add the pork back into the pan.
This is the time you’ll want to start your eggs, you can leave the hash on low now to keep warm with the occasional toss to keep the heat even.
Top with your choice of eggs! I prefer poached, a runny yolk to act as a sauce for the hash is a great way to top off the dish.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 2c. Sweet potato, diced
- 1tbsp. Olive oil
- 1sm. Yellow onion
- 2c. Kale, chopped and stem removed
- 1c. Diced apple
- 1/2tsp. Fennel seed
- 1tsp. Dried Sage, or 1tbsp. Fresh
- 1/8tsp. Ground cloves
- 1/4tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1lb. Maple pork sausage
- 1/3c. Water
- Salt TT
- Pepper TT
- Over medium-high heat brown the sausage with the spices.
- Once browned remove sausage from the pan and add 1tbsp. olive oil.
- Add onions and sweet potatoes to the pan, still over medium-high heat. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add apples and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add kale to the pan and wilt for one minute.
- Pour 1/3c. water into the pan and cover for about 3minutes.
- Add the sausage back into the pan and mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with eggs and enjoy!