I know we’re past the holidays now, but my Christmas morning breakfast is still a great weekend breakfast for the many cold days still. It’s always such a disappointment to remember that the snow and ice doesn’t end with Christmas, so here’s to a warm weekend breakfast and a hot cup of coffee.
For the last three years I have made biscuits with sausage gravy and eggs on Christmas morning. This year my toddler helped me make the biscuits and she DEVOURED two servings! She also requested the same breakfast again after all the leftovers ran out.
I like making this on a weekend or holiday, because it feels a bit special, it’s not a meal I would make on a weekday before work and school, but requires little time in the kitchen so there is more time for weekend or holiday activities.
The biscuit recipe is my Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich with Ham biscuit recipe, without the goat cheese and chives.
The gravy is pretty simple, cook up the sausage, coat in flour, add seasoning, spices, cream, and milk. Simmer, and eat! I like to add an over easy egg and sautéed grape tomatoes for acidity and brightness in an otherwise heavy gravy.
Time: 20 minutes
- Regular breakfast sausage
- 3tbsp Flour
- 1/2c Heavy cream
- 1.5c Milk ( I use unsweetened almond, use your preference)
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 1/2tsp Dried sage
- 1/4tsp Nutmeg
- Salt and pepper TT (to taste)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, brown the breakfast sausage until cooked through, use a spoon to break it into small crumbles while cooking. If there is a lot of grease drain some, a little is fine and will be soaked up the flour.
- Once sausage is cooked sprinkle with 3tbsp flour and stir.
- Stir the sausage while slowly adding the milk and cream.
- Add spices and salt and pepper.
- Simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over biscuits and eggs.
One Comment Add yours
Adding this to my recipe book for sure.!